In their natural environment, horses graze and are always moving in search of forage. This grazing and slowly feeding is healthy and works with their digestive system.
Being prey animals, as the graze they are also on the look out for threats.
We all don't have access to pasture for our horses and most of us must feed hay. Placing any amount of hay in our HelixFeeder mimics this natural grazing and slowing down a horse's eating behaviour.
All this in a natural head down feeding position allows them to be able to see around them. This creates a happy, healthy, calm horse.
5 Problems That Can Arise With Horse Slow-Feeders
1. Doesn’t Slow Your Horse's Eating - either the slow-feeder’s holes are too big, or too small. Both can be a source of frustration for you and your horse.
2. Unnatural Feeding Position - some slow-feeders have to be secured above your horse for safety, which makes them raise their head to eat. When used consistently, this can result in back and neck pain and increased muscle in the wrong places. Many are not safe for shod horses. Other types make horses place their head inside a container that can obscure their vision and force them to breath hay dust.
3. Low Capacity - most mainstream slow-feeders only hold 10 to 20 pounds of hay. From an average bale, that translates to roughly 2-4 flakes. Or the larger ones are much bigger than than the amount of hay they hold and are a pain to move.
4. Hay Waste - your horse likes to roughly shake their feeder, which sends hay flying everywhere but where you want it. This is a waste of both the hay and your money.
5. Horses Can Chew Through It - your horse likes to chew on anything and everything, even their slow-feeder. And guess what? They completely destroyed why you bought it.
5 Solutions with the HelixFeeder
1. Adjustability Ensures It Will Slow Your Horse - our Multiplate in the HelixFeeder can be set to 5 different hole sizes. It’s incredibly easy to adjust yourself. Find the sweet spot for your specific horse in minutes. Adjust it later if you switch hay types or set it and forget it. No need to buy another size of feeder!
2. Natural Feeding Position - the HelixFeeder collapses as a horse eats, their head lowered, in a natural grazing position, with full visibility of their surroundings and no breathing that hay dust. It is absolutely safe for shod horses for ground feeding.
3. Tons Of Capacity - the HelixFeeder upto 40 pounds (depending on the compactness) of hay. Don’t be afraid to stuff the HelixFeeder as full as you can - no matter how stuffed it is, it will work. The HelixFeeder will only be as tall as the hay you put in it so it suits any horse size. It's very space efficient, easy to handle, and extremely portable for shows or horse camping.
4. Zero Hay Waste- when the Multiplate is secured in the feeder it's the ONLY way by which your horse can get at their hay. It’s impossible for your horse to toss or shake hay out of the feeder or to remove the Multiplate.
5. Can’t Be Chewed Through - our slow-feeders are very durable with chew and crack proof feed plates. If we ever see someone order multiple feed plates for a single feeder, we tell them it’s not necessary. If you don’t like seeing the plate all scratched up (which happens over time), you can flip it over because it's reversible!
Our Easy to Use Slow Feeder for Horses
The MultiPlate Feed System - One Size Fits All
The HelixFeeder MultiPlate is the secret to the incredible success of our slow feeder.
One of the challenges every horse owner faces with slow feeding systems is the getting the correct feed hole size to best match their horse.
This can mean success or failure when it comes to slow feeding your horses.
Choosing too large a feed hole, and your horse may eat too fast - which defeats the whole purpose of why you are choosing to slow feed.
Going the opposite way, using a feed hole that is too small can frustrate your horse, which can result in damage to the slow feeder. More importantly, your horse may not get enough to eat.
Switching your hay types can also create a situation where you might have to change the feed hole size again to keep your horse in the slow feeding sweet spot.
Our patent-pending adjustable feed plate system takes the guesswork out of finding the slow feeding sweet spot.
You can customize your feed hole size and see the immediate benefits with without the need to purchase multiple feeders or inserts (which is common with other slow feeders on the market).
The MultiPlate has 5 pre-set adjustments to allow you to select a feed hole size between 3 inches and 4¾ inches in size.
It takes just a few minutes to rotate the plates and make a feed hole adjustment.
Like our previous feed plates, the MultiPlate can take any horse abuse, it’s extremely robust at just under 1/2 inch thick. Our MultiPlate system also works with previous HelixFeeders.
We hope you and your horse will enjoy the benefits of our new MultiPlate feeding system. Picture shows hanging orientation.